Nick Stefan: Adventures on the Vietnam Field School




Why did you choose to participate in this field school?
My reasoning for why I chose to participate in a field school, and why I chose to participate in the Vietnam field school, are different. First of all, I had the amazing opportunity to spend all last summer studying French at UQAC, in Chicoutimi, Quebec. Having almost completely finished my degree at Capilano University, this was my first time ever ‘studying abroad’, and for that matter, living on my own. The experience was indescribable. Any slight feeling of homesickness, was so quickly made forgotten by the presence of your newly adopted family of friends, who are all there doing the same thing you are.

Coming from all different parts of Canada, we were all in the same boat, and that automatically fueled the reason to create friendships and bonds, and have the time of your life while still obtaining perfectly good credits. When it was all said and done, and I was back at Capilano University, sitting, watching the rain pour down as it typically does, I thought to myself that I was two semesters away from graduating, and I wanted to make what was left of my schooling count; the only option was to partake in another study abroad opportunity!


The field schools are significantly more affordable in both aspects of cost and time. With no commitment being more than 3 weeks long, and little to no school being missed because of the dates they run on, the field school was the perfect option for me and I never regretted making that decision. Why I chose the Vietnam field school, however, was because I was planning my next vacation when I received an email notifying me about the opportunity. Literally, in a matter of seconds, I responded confirming my interest because I had never been to Asia before, and I know that of all the field schools being offered, Vietnam seemed to be the most exotic and I considered whether or not I could ever have seen myself going there on my own terms.


My decision to go with Vietnam proved to be so right because I loved it so much, including everything that the field school introduced me to about it, and I know I will go back.



What was the most memorable highlight?
Though I guess you can argue that this isn’t a highlight, because I did not share this moment with anyone else on the tour, but on our third last day in Vietnam, we had just finished biking roughly 20km around an island that required boats to get to, and we had just made it back to the bus. I got off my bike, and set off not more than 100m away from the group to take a look around. I had no idea where I was, more than just in regard to the name of the town, but geographically speaking.

We had just finished biking for several hours, had taken two boats, and all from a point that we initially started off at, being 4 hours south of Saigon. It was really something special, and usually my favorite thing to do while travelling, to step away from what’s going on and just realize where you are.


The field school was packed full of beneficial and fun activities, but this was an opportunity to make your own experience out of it. I realized that everything around me was totally different from my comfort zone, and that everything was totally unidentifiable, but I was pretty ok with that. That, and Cole had his birthday while on the trip so we took him to the 52nd floor of the Bitexco Financial Tower’s skybar, and partied (responsibly) overlooking a 360degree view of Saigon at night, in a bar practically all to ourselves. It was unreal.



What would be some tips or advice to prospective participants?
This is the most important question to me, as I now understand the importance of considerations and advice when deciding where and whether you should go. Assumingly, if you’re attending university, you have an open mind and willing to learn, and that is the optimistic view inherent of most students. However, this is not always the case, and you need to understand and justify your reasons for signing up for a field school. It is not for everyone, based on your current state of mind, and your progression in your studies.

Consider taking a field school later on in your studies when your schedule is more relaxed and accommodating of it, and you are confident in yourself that you’re mentally prepared for the culture shock! It is not a vacation, it is in fact work, and you are representing not only yourself, but Capilano University, and even Canada. But should you be up for the challenge, it is going to be an experience that you will never forget; just make sure you take part in the right experience!


If you are new to travelling, it is so important to picture yourself in that culture, before you go. You know yourself pretty well, and you understand your comfort zone. Can you picture yourself being in that country? If so, then prepare yourself, consider taking the oh-so-beneficial IBUS 255 and IBUS 434 cross cultural business classes where the knowledge you gain there will be so insightful to your travels, you have no idea. You wouldn’t believe the difference of impression it makes on you when you properly great, or interact with locals, keeping their customs in mind, because of course… Even though we’re all people, our cultures are all different!


Don’t be that guy who thinks what works in Canada, will work abroad, nobody likes that guy, and besides, you’re in another country! The whole point of how awesome this experience is, is to eat, live, and breath as they do for the short period of time that you’re there. Do your best to always keep those considerations in mind. Canada is a pretty relaxed and accommodating county; if you wouldn’t act that way in Canada, I suggest you don’t act that way anywhere abroad. But I’m sure you’ll do fine. Remember your pleases and thank yous, it’s probably best that you learn it in their language though, always keep a pen on hand, and even a journal so that you can jot down all the cool stuff that you’re going to want to remember to brag about to your friends and family when you get back home.


Go in with an open mind, and do your best to prevent resorting back to North American familiarities while you’re there, it’ll be over in no time, and you’ll be back home before you know it. Sigh, take me back with you!    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!