Cole Caswell: Vietnam Field School 2013

Doing any field study through Capilano is a unique experience you can not duplicate by yourself.  I recently got back from doing the Vietnam Field Study over reading break and I’m more than pleased with myself that I made the decision to go. We visited places in Vietnam that I had always wanted to go to like the Cu Chi Tunnels and Ho Chi Minh City.  But for me the most beneficial part of the trip was doing and seeing things I wouldn’t have seen if I didn’t go with the school.   

Some of these things included: the Pungkook factory where they make MEC and The North Face backpacks as well as Coach handbags, attending Canadian Chamber of Commerce networking events, the Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City, and visiting other post secondary institutions. There’s something to be said about doing things you never imagined yourself doing and everyday in Vietnam I found myself amazed by the activities we were taking part in. 

I had been to five different continents and visited many countries before the trip and I learned more about their business practices and Vietnam in general than I had learned in all the previous countries combined. Having classes about the country before, as well as the access to guides, and going with people who have experienced the culture before allows for a great opportunity to learn as much as you want. The field study permits a great way to get international experience because you’re learning on a number of different levels and most of it you will be able to take home with you.

 The obvious benefit of doing a field study is you get to travel and get credits doing it. As I said earlier the amount you’ll learn is incredible too. One of the benefits I didn’t realize going into the trip is the relationships you’ll form throughout your time there. I did the field study during my fourth semester at Capilano U and I developed numerous new friendships with the other students going. It gives you the opportunity to create relationships with your peers much faster than you would in a regular classroom setting. The experiences you share are unique to any of friendship and you’ll have some time to cut loose with your new friends too.  


Taking part in a field study is in my opinion the best way to get upper level electives. It makes scheduling a semester easier, you gain some international experience, you make new friends, and it’s a lot more fun than sitting in a classroom.  Start saving now, you won’t regret it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!