Chelsea Casano: My Semester Abroad


Taking part in the study abroad program is something that I feel has been such an important part of my Capilano experience here as a student. The program is definitely something that students should try to incorporate into their studies. I remember a year ago feeling a bit discouraged with my current situation in Vancouver. I wasn’t sure exactly what I wanted to do after I graduated and felt I had no direction and needed a change. The study abroad program was a great way to have a change of scenery and take advantage of doing some travelling while still being able to gain credits. I had heard good things about the program and was thrilled when I heard I was able to participate.


This program creates a chance to meet new friends, travel and experience different cultures. It also will help you discover new things about yourself as you will be put out of your element and faced with challenges while abroad. There are many different countries where the program is available and if I had a chance I would do it again in a different country! It is a great way to break out of your comfort zone and meet people you would have never met otherwise. On this trip I have met friends that will be part of my life for =ever and can’t wait till they come to Vancouver to visit. Also living in a different country and in student housing also taught me life lessons that has changed some of my views. In Vlissingen, students lived in apartments together, all from different nationalities.  It was a great experience living with students from other countries and there were definitely cultural differences that everyone had to get used to. Living abroad, away from friends and family was a challenge that I really wanted to see if I could handle and coming back to Vancouver now, I feel more confident in myself and the decisions I make.



Also living in Europe gave me the opportunity to travel and visit many different countries. While studying I was able to travel to seven different countries in Europe and had amazing experiences in each. Also with meeting people in my program I always had someone to travel with or even visit their home towns to see where they live. Travelling also made me realise the cultural differences between each country, regardless how of close they were to each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!