Aleena Solheim: Travels in Japan


After three months in Japan, I am starting to feel like my time here is running out. I have only one month left and so much to do and experience! I do also feel a bit homesick, but it’s not horrible or anything; I expected to feel some homesickness while abroad. I feel actually that I am doing really well considering this is my first time studying abroad and being away from my family and on my own for so long.
At the beginning of June, the school sent us on a trip to Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kyoto, and Nara. They organized all our travel and accommodations for us and made it really easy. We got to ride the Shinkansen for the first time! You really don’t feel how fast you’re going when you ride it; only when you look out the window do you notice (I didn’t do much of that because it made me motion sick). When we arrived in Hiroshima, we took a local train to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum and Genbaku Dōmu (A-bomb Dome). Being there was an overwhelming and humbling experience. It was sad, but I think it was important to go and see and learn about what happened.
I’m actually surprised how many people don’t know about the dome; I thought it was common knowledge. Julia told me she had only learned of it when she came to Japan, and that when she told people back home about going to it, they asked what it was. The Korean exchange students said they didn’t know about it either.
After Hiroshima, we took a train and then a ferry to Miyajima. When we arrived there all the feelings that lingered from Hiroshima were swept away; it really was a wonderful place.  The red tori gate in the sea is amazing. Apparently hiking in Miyajima is excellent too, but Julia and I didn’t have time (nor did we learn about it until after). I may go back in August when I travel with my family.
Kyoto and Nara are beautiful too. In Nara at Todaiji temple, you can see the “Daibutsu” or “Great Buddha”—they call it that for a reason. It is massive! We were lucky enough to have a YMCA volunteer take us on a tour and explain the history to us a little (you can ask the information centre in the train station). We extended our stay in Kyoto for an extra day and spent the night at a backpacker’s hostel in the Gion district for 1600 yen per night, which was a really good deal. The place had a choice of mixed, male only, or female only dorms, shower, free coffee and tea, towel rental for 50-100 yen depending on the size...pretty much anything one might need. One thing I recommend before going on the school trip is to do some research about the places you will visit. You will get a better appreciation of them that way.
So on another note, exams are looming in on us and papers will be due and I am starting to panic a little. How will I manage all the things I have left that I want to do? It is only now that I finally feel oriented and confident. When we first arrived I had absolutely no idea where I was. That was one feeling I was not prepared for. I had no idea how to get from my house to school. Using the bus or train seemed overwhelming and I had all these new names to learn. The best way to learn is just to do it. I found any maps of stations or directions too confusing. If you get stuck just ask someone; the Japanese are always willing to help! When Julia and I went to Osaka the first time we asked two different people for directions and both times they went out of their way to actually walk us for 5-10 minutes to the place we wanted to go. It was incredible. Everyone here has been amazingly hospitable and I feel I have learned from their example how to be a better host myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!