Sammi Yu: Studying Abroad in Honolulu, Hawai'i

My name is Sammi. I am currently an exchange student at the University of Hawai'i at Manoa (UH). I came from Capilano University (CapU) that is situated in Vancouver B.C, Canada. Vancouver is my hometown. I have been here in Hawai'i since January 02, 2012 and will be staying all the way till May 12, 2012. This blog will give an overview of how life has been so far for me in Hawai'i and some information about the culture, tourism industry and people here.


It was winter time in Vancouver, cold and rainy, pretty much every day. The moment I stepped out of the airport upon my arrival to Honolulu on a Monday afternoon, I was welcomed with warm ocean breeze and gorgeous sunshine. I knew that I was in paradise already. It was about 27 degrees, not too hot, but just right. I came here with my buddy Annika, she is my classmate and good friend now, at CapU. We took the Roberts Hawai'i shuttle bus to our Hostel at Waikiki. The first day was very tiring, because we were put into a room of 6 and both of us had a hard time to fall asleep at night surrounded by strangers. However, the second day we moved into a room of two and it was much better. In the morning I took a stroll down the Waikiki beach and it was beautiful, the ocean and the weather. I couldn't believe that I was in Hawai'i. The water was blue and turquoise colour. I even saw some tropical fish.

A few days later, I moved to the University dorm at UH. I met my wonderful roommates here. University life is very different from what I thought it would be. The best thing about living in the dorms is that we are given a meal plan for every week. The cafeterias here are all-you-can-eat and have some of the most delicious food! For a food lover like me, my stay is complete. So far I have met a lot of people and made some good friends. My professors are all very helpful and nice. Teaching system and style here are very similar to that of at CapU. I have learnt some very meaningful values in Hawaiian such as Kuleana meaning to help. Everyone is very nice here and are always willing to help. I also feel like all locals and even myself have this "hang loose" attitude, probably it is because of the weather and atmosphere here in Hawai'i.

I have visited most of the tourist places in Honolulu already. We drove around the Oahu island at least 6 times already, going through all the famous and beautiful beaches while enjoying the sceneries and eating shaved ice. I went to snorkeling here for the first time and many times afterwards. I have been to  the best dinner cruise called "The Star of Honolulu," we had lobsters, drinks, dance and music. I suggest anyone who come here to try it out with this company =D I also went to see dolphins with the same company called "Hoku Nai'a," Hoku means star in Hawaiian and Nai'a means dolphin. It is called the Star Dolphin! One of the best in Hawai'i! We saw at least 30 dolphins, many fish and green turtles. We were also lucky enough to see the Humpback whale that was migrating towards Alaska for the summer season. It was an experience of a life time. I will always remember.

Hawaiian culture and history dates back to the 1870s. It was first occupied by pure native Hawaiians until late 80s when first missionaries arrived from U.S mainland and took control of Hawaii, because of the sugar industry. Many people were transported here to do labour from Asia, such as Chinese, Japanese and Pilipino. Therefore, even until today one can find many senior Chinese and Japanese people in Hawai'i. 


With this I will conclude my journal for now. I would say coming to Hawaii was definitely the best thing in my educational years. I have gained new experiences, and ones that I never thought I would. I have met many people and made new friends.

Comments

  1. This is fantastic website and I cannot recommend you guys enough. Full of useful resources and very easy language to understand..
    best website templates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Webappe Technologies is listed as one of the best “Web Design India Company” provides you the professional Web Designing services with efficient and affordable prices.


    Web Design India
    Php Development India

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!