Susan Li: First Month in Sapporo, Japan

It has been around a month since I arrived Sapporo, Japan, to study graphic design and illustration. The past month was filled with creative inspirations, cultural shocks, and adventures.

Since my first day at Bisen (our school), I have indulged myself in its resource collection. I visited the school library every two to three days, as most of the books there can’t be found in Vancouver. The Japanese design aesthetics as well as its way of thinking differ greatly from those of North America. The art forms seem more delicate and emphasize on touching the audience in subtle ways rather than shouting the core concept out loud. Maybe this is a manifestation of their culture – reserved, harmonic, and detail-oriented.

Painting at Bisen

Japan is an amazing place. One of the things that struck me culturally was the people’s high level of courtesy and social collectivity. It seems that almost every action I took (some even as small as opening a door or pressing an elevator button) could elicit a bow, a thank-you or an apology from someone. Not only do I feel welcomed here, the way I have been treated compels me to absorb their manners and kindly act back. After school, groups of students take turns cleaning the classroom, something that I have never seen in Vancouver but works amazingly well in keeping the rooms clean and tidy.

Aside from the art studies, I tried my best to visit different places in and outside the city. I was lucky enough to visit the Hokkaido Jingu Shrine during the peak cherry blossom season to see the beautiful blossoms alongside the traditional Japanese architecture. The shrine was crowded as people gathered to picnic under the cherry blossom trees (a Japanese event called o-hanami), but it was pleasant walking among them and sensing the crowd’s enthusiasm toward the annual traditional event. It was also wonderful seeing such a modern and technologically advanced country taking great care preserving its culture and heritage sites.

 
Entrance to Hokkaido Jingu

Outside the city, the natural scenery of Hokkaido is simply breathtaking and bears no resemblance to the landscape in BC. Being immersed in nature along the coast of Hokkaido is relaxing and stimulating at the same time – a cure for creative blocks. I definitely suggest other exchange students to travel outside their designated city for a little bit. It will be an unmatched experience.
 
Cape Kamui
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!