Jacilyn Edgar: Why Not Study Abroad in the Netherlands?

What drew me to Vlissingen was the fact that the city was right on the North Sea and I figured would be similar to living by the ocean in Vancouver. Once I arrived here I realized this city is nothing like Vancouver, but in a good way! If you have a free hour just go for a bike ride up the coast along the beach and stop at the boulevard for a coffee.



My time here has been amazing. Just the other day I piggybacked through a babbling brook and up a grassy knoll too and was given an incredible view of the beaches in Breezand. When you get off the bus it might seem like it was an accident, but no worries once you stare at a map and see the town is only one street it is hard to get lost; you will find the beach very easily.

The highlight of my time in Vlissingen over the past couple of weeks has been getting to know the many other students. This city is small which means that everything is close, and therefore walking or biking down the street means high chances of running into friends.



I have been in Europe for one month now. Currently I am sitting on the plane going to Austria with 3 of my friends. This is my first real site seeing trip since I got to Vlissingen 3 weeks ago. I have absolutely no plans for Vienna besides being there for 5 days. All I have done is book a flight and book a hostel. Last minute planning will make for extra adventures.
 
Being able to have a weekend off and deciding to visit somewhere completely different is an unbelievable experience. Jumping on a two hour flight to some of the most incredible and historic cities in the world is something that is so indescribably amazing. Going to Brugge in Belgium is a quick ferry and bus ride away and is so interesting, but watch the movie ‘In Brugge’ first.

On the other hand spending weekends in Vlissingen is great as well. When you first arrive here via train you are greeted by what seems like a million bikes. You have to teach yourself to look both ways when crossing the bike lanes as well as the roads.
 
Here are a few pieces of advice I got before my study abroad semester:
 
 1) Buy a watch; it has been the most useful thing I brought to Europe
 
2)      Bring a lot of vitamins; I brought some but I have already gone though them all, don’t underestimate how sick you can get when you party and travel all the time.

3)      Bring cold medicine (day and night); this medicine doesn’t exist in the Netherlands.

4)      Be prepared for the winter; March 25th and we have 6 inches of snow overnight.

5)      Get a bike, it is the best way to get around quickly!

6)      Keep your expectations low and have the time of your life!

Comments

  1. Hi,

    My name is KC Owens; I’m a college student who loves to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. Personally, I think traveling is a necessary part of life as you’re exposed to all sorts of new cultures and experiences. While enjoying time abroad, I've found it's crucial to fully understand the dangers that you might encounter along the way. These mishaps are part of life and certainly part of travel but it’s always a great idea to take preventive measures to help ensure your safety while abroad.

    I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my travel safety tips with your readers? I put a lot of time and passion into my traveling and I would love to help others by offering safety advice as a result of the mistakes and triumphs I've had. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best,

    KC Owens

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!