Adam Browne: HK Day One


“This is what Vancouver will look like in 50-100 years” –Gonzo Tudela, 6:15am, today. Four kilometres into our run across the Hong Kong seawall, we stop to stretch and look out across the harbour. We’re standing in what used to be Stanley Park and looking across to the north shore. The British Properties? How about the British Skyscrapers? Forget the Shangri-la. These are skyscrapers. Hong Kong is the quintessential metropolis and I’m enjoying every metre of our run.
There is advertising everywhere, there are people everywhere; the city is alive at 6am with runners, walkers, and tai-chi masters. The wind picks up and blows away the humidity for a split second. Gonzo looks over at me, and we begin our run back to the hotel.
In this city, for every immaculately architected office or apartment building, there is an Orwellian housing complex with 250 square foot apartments and external air conditioners for windows. Look down one alley: Rolls Royce Phantom. Another alley: stray cats, crumbling brick, and exposed pipes. Hong Kong is a paradox and I think that’s why I like it so much.
It’s not as much a dystopia as mainland China (from my brief experience there of endless lines for customs agents and totalitarian architecture in government buildings), but it does have the same feel that I do like. Sure, China may be a “nanny state” in many ways, but what I do like is the autonomy given to people to make their own daily decisions.
I have never been on a flight that has allowed me to sit on the floor of an exit row, playing cards loudly, or move to the kitchen of the airplane and fix my own drinks and food. I have never been on public transit with fully opening windows and bus stops built so dangerously close to the road. But I like it. It’s a slight feeling of danger, but to me, it feels more like adventure, because I believe that life is for living; not for worrying about which laws I am breaking by minding my own business.
I am thoroughly enjoying the feeling of Hong Kong and China. It’s an exciting region to travel in because it is so different from where I am from.

Comments

  1. The pressures on gay teens can be overwhelming--to keep secrets, tell lies, deny who you are, and try to be who you're not. Remember: you are special and worth being cared about, loved, and accepted just as you are. Never, ever let anyone convince you otherwise. Cheap Flights to Hong Kong | Flights to Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each person who ever was or is or will be has a song. It isn't a song that anybody else wrote. It has its own melody, it has its own words. Very few people get to sing their song. Most of us fear that we cannot do it justice with our voices, or that our words are too foolish or too honest, or too odd. So people live their song instead.
    Flights to Hong Kong | Cheap Flights to Hong Kong | Cheap Air Tickets to Hong Kong

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!