Annika Granander: Surfing on the Same Waves as Duke Kahanamoku


Surfing in Waikiki is the place to do it, especially if you have never done it before. Everyone from beginners to pros ride the waves here. It is said that surfing was invented right here on the shores of Waikiki by Hawaiian legend Duke Kahanamoku.

It is the coolest experience when you catch your first wave. Your instructor yelling at you to “Paddle! Paddle! Paddle!” and you thinking, there is no way I can paddle any harder, especially with this big 12 foot board, plus you have the Beach Boys song “Wipe out” playing in your mind.  But all that paddling pays off and feel the wave lift you up and you’ve caught a wave. It is one of the most exhilarating feelings standing up on your board and riding the wave all the way to the beach. 


I took a few surfing lessons when I got here in Hawaii and got totally hooked and wanted to keep surfing. I looked into buying a board, but never bought one until two weeks ago. I can now go out whenever I want and I have met a few friends that I go out surfing with. My favorite spot to surf is out on Waikiki. It has the best waves for my ability, and bigger ones that I can work up to riding. It feels pretty amazing to be surfing where the greats like Duke Kahanamoku surfed years ago. Catching waves on the birthplace of surfing.
 
My advice for anyone who is planning on staying in Hawai’i and who is going to learn how to surf; is to buy a board right away. Used ones are the best. You can buy used ones online via craigslist, at local surf shops or even borrow them from friends. My biggest regret is not buying a board sooner. I wish I did because I love surfing so much and I want to get really good, maybe even become a pro-surfer one day. So, taking a few lessons and getting your own board is key if you are going to live in Hawai’i.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!