Michael Dekur: Differences in China


Wow, where to start! Most things I do and experience in everyday life in China are much different than back Canada. Two differences that have really stood out is the amount of people that live here and not being able to use some internet websites.
 

Canton Tower
Let’s begin with how many people there are in China. Everywhere I go there is people, people and more people! There is no such thing as an uncrowded sidewalk, metro station or even McDonalds. Unlike in Canada where it is quiet and you have lots of space, in China I constantly get pushed and run into by people. I feel like everyone here is always on a mission to get somewhere. Furthermore, I always have to look both ways before crossing the streets because cars will not stop for you. If anything they speed up when they see a pedestrian in their way. I have learned that cars have the right of way over people! Secondly, is the blockage of internet sites. Everything that I am used to browsing on a daily basis does not work here. Facebook, Snapchat, everything Google (Maps, Gmail, Google search) is all blocked by the Chinese government. I bought a VPN in order to get on these websites but it has been really hit and miss when I am able to connect to them. At first this was super annoying not being able to use these sites, but I have learned to adapt and manage life without social networking. Instead I have completely bought into using Chinese apps. The one main App I use in China is called WeChat. It is similar to Facebook although with many more features; such as being able to pay at restaurants with the APP or buying discounted movie coupons. When I meet someone I never get their phone number, all that is needed is to scan their WeChat barcode and they are added to your WeChat contact list. It is actually really cool completely awesome APP. I am surprised that it is not more popular in Canada.



Guangzhou

In the first month here, I have been loving China just because it is such different lifestyle compared to back home. I am really looking forward to experiencing the differences in culture in the upcoming months!




Guangzhou Zoo
Mike is a Bachelor of Business Administration student studying abroad at the Jinan University in Guangzhou, China.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!