Taylor White: Dude


I had the opportunity to travel to Lagos, Portugal for a week of yoga and surfing during Easter break. I had never really wanted to try surfing, but it looked like a lot of fun, and the pictures that I had seen of Lagos looked amazing. So off we went! Not only did we get to stay in a totally rad surf house, learn to surf on picture perfect beaches, and unwind at yoga class every night, we met some really amazing people. Everyone was so kind, helpful, and positive in helping us learn to surf.

 

By no means did I think surfing would be easy, but I really did not expect it to be as difficult as it was. After the first few days I felt like I had been hit by a truck. But every morning we got up and got back out there. Even though my whole body hurt, I had cuts and bruises, I was tired, and I was not always successful in the surfing department, I still felt so accomplished. I felt very humbled by the ocean. There is something amazing about giving up control and letting the waves take you as they come. Feeling like you can’t possibly go any further because you feel so beat up, and getting back out there to face the boundaries of your comfort zone gives you this perfect balanced feeling of defeated and accomplished. 

 


In Lagos I felt like I was a million miles away from Vienna, and even further from home. It was the perfect little getaway. It taught me to always be open to new experiences and take things as they come at you, and even if you end up back on the beach, don’t be afraid to get back out there to face the waves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!