Kara Fitzpatrick: 10 Things People Tell You, but You Don’t Really Understand Until You’re Really Here


Before we go away on our semester’s abroad friends, family, co-workers, and strangers are all really quick to give us advice. We listen, maybe write it down, but don’t really take it in or give it another thought. We think we know everything and we can do it all ourselves. However, I learned very quickly that I should have listened a little better. These are the top 10 things people told me before I arrived that I didn’t really fully understand until I experienced them first hand.

 

1.       Save and Budget

Before I came here I knew that I needed to save money and budget. However, when I first arrived I got totally caught up in the idea of being abroad. I was shopping, travelling, and eating out like I was working full-time. I was really surprised one day when I looked at my bank account. I am not saying to not shop, eat, or travel, that is all part of the experience, but just do so in moderation and have a budget for it all.


 

2.       There is a culture change

Before I came here I knew that it would be different, but I was really thinking was “it’s Austria…how different can it be?” The answer…very. I had to adapt very quickly to the changes. Everything is closed on Sundays, stores do not stay open past 7PM, the language barrier, and the school system. I really wasn’t mentally prepared for it all.

 

3.       Time will fly by

I am sitting in my room on what is almost my three-month anniversary of being abroad and it feels like I have been gone for a week. Time is moving at ultra-speed, so make it count.

 

4.       Remember you are a student first

We all know “yeah, yeah, school, school, blah, blah,” but we sometimes forget that we are here to study. Travelling and partying is all part of the experience, but school should be the priority, we are representing our school and our families here.

 

5.       YOSBO (You Only Study Abroad Once)

Make the most of it. This is a once in a life opportunity. I have been to nine cities in four countries and still have two months of backpacking through this beautiful continent. I am so blessed to be here, when I miss home, or feel sad, it’s nice to remember that and embrace every moment.

 

6.       You will make connections with people from all over the world

I have made connections with people from Finland, France, the UK, Italy, USA, Hungry, Turkey, Germany, and many others. It has been amazing learning what their lives are like and how cultures are different. Some have offered to stay with them if I ever want to visit. It is great to have connections and familiar faces all over the globe.

 

7.       You will make life long friends

This goes beyond connections from around the world. There are four girls here who have changed my life and inspire me. We have only known each other for three months, but I feel like I have known them my whole life. Relationships (like time) move on ultra-speed. I am so fortunate to have them in my life. We’ve travelled, laughed, cried, and survived it all together; I don’t know what I would do without them. I can’t wait to continue a friendship with them outside of our time here.

 

8.       Things happen

All of us want to think we are perfect and do not make mistakes, but the reality is we do. The real test is how we handle them. I have missed busses, friends have failed exams, and all of us have gotten extremely lost. However, we learn from our mistakes, this will happen; we just have to remember what we can do differently next time.

 

9.       You won’t have everything you have at home

Kraft Dinner, friends, family, stores that are open past 7PM, money. These are comforts we have and often take for granted at home. This experience has taught be to appreciate the little conveniences we have all the time.

 

10.   This is the best time of your life

Every tear, every mistake, every adjustment I have had to make does not oversee how amazing this experience is. We all hear “it will change your life,” and as cheesy as it sounds, it’s true. This is the most incredible experience I have ever been on. I wouldn’t change anything. It is the best time in my life, I have seen, done, and achieved so much more than I could have ever imagined. Embrace every moment and remember how lucky you are to be where you are.
 
 
 
 
 
Kara is a third year Bachelor of Tourism Management student studying abroad at Management Centre Innsbruck in Innsbruck, Austria.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!