Sam Brum: Vienna Waits For You


Attending an info session for study abroad was the first step that I took in embarking on this journey I am on. Choosing to apply for this study abroad experience in Vienna was the second. Now that I am here in Vienna, I see why something deep inside that told me I needed to go. This was the opportunity for an experience I had only dreamt of. Growing up, my perception of Europe was defined by photographs and stories other people told. But now these photographs and stories are mine to tell.
Salzburg, Austria where the Sound of Music was filmed
For those looking into studying abroad, I’ll pass along some insight. Firstly, I would stress the fact that you need to be open to the experiences and all that may come of it, both good and bad. I went through a period of time where I was very anxious about the whole idea, even after I decided that this was something I wanted to do. I debated whether or not I was the right “type” of person for this opportunity. The truth is anyone and everyone should take this opportunity. The only thing really standing in the way was my own fears and my financial concerns (but if you really want it, there are scholarships and loans which can help!). Fortunately, I had some financial support from my family and a mother who encouraged me to seize this opportunity. You are likely going to go through a rollercoaster of emotions, I know I did. All you need to remember is to “just do it”. These were words of wisdom given to me, and they ring true.

I also emphasize that while abroad, it is important to set aside judgment and remember to keep expectations realistic. On a trip like this, you are bound to meet many new people and experiences new cultures that are unlike those of your own. It is important to understand that not everywhere has the same way of doing things. You are visiting another country, after all.
 
Bratislava, Slovakia
 
So far I have traveled to Bratislava (Slovakia) and Salzburg and in the upcoming months I have plans to continue to travel across Austria to Carinthia, and Innsbruck. I also have plans to travel to Verona (Italy), Prague (Czech Republic), Berlin (Germany), Budapest (Hungary) Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and a trip to Paris (France) and Barcelona (Spain) are also in the works. That’s 8 other countries on a reasonable budget. I look forward to the adventures and opportunities that this trip is sure to present!

Samantha is a third year Bachelor of Communication Studies student on a semester abroad at FHWien University of Applied Sciences in Vienna, Austria. 


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!