Sally Hirose: Canton Fair


Well-known as the Canton Fair, China Import and Export Fair has been held biannually in Guangzhou every spring and autumn since 1957. The Canton Fair boasts the longest history and the highest level among trade fairs in China. It is co-hosted by the Ministry of Commerce of People’s Republic of China and People’s Government of Guangdong Province and is a state-level and comprehensive international trade event. Participants of the fair are from over 210 countries and regions across the globe.
 
Regarded as the largest scale, the highest level, Canton Fair presents the most comprehensive exhibition covering the widest range of industries and sectors, as well as the richest products and commodities. There are 3 phases for each session lasting 5 days each, and we got to see 17 categories of products such as men and women’s clothing, kids’ wear, underwear, sports and casual wear, fashion accessories, home textiles and so on in phase 3. The accumulated export turnover achieved at the Canton Fair exceeds 760 billion US dollars. This is where businessmen from around the world harvest wealth, friendship, and boundless business opportunities.

 
Before we left for the Canton Fair, we did the activity to get to know each other more. We each talked about something that others don’t know about our roommate. It was a great opportunity to get to know more about everyone since it was only the third day of our trip. We took a shuttle to the Canton Fair, and saw many people standing in front of the gate to make some money. They were all trying to be an interpreter of international buyers. This showed that the unemployment remains a problem in China; there were many skilled people who could be used as interpreters in many occasions, but they had to hold a board showing “interpreter needed?” to get a temporary job. Unlike the people standing outside the gate, there were many well-dressed people looking to make their country and themselves wealthier inside the buildings.
 
It was a challenge for me to lead a group of 22 students in a foreign country where I had no idea where I was in the city; however, I was able to get everyone’s attention with some people’s help whenever I had an announcement. Going to a trade fair in China is such a great opportunity, and I think I would never have a chance to go and would not even think about going if I did not join this trip.
 
Overall, I think I made one of the best decisions in my life to join this field school. I have experienced a lot of things that I cannot do in Vancouver and would have regretted it if I missed this great opportunity. Thanks to my field school members and instructors for the great time.


Sally is a second year Arts and Science student.  This is Sally's first time in China.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!