Katie Razavi: Just Do It!


Thinking about studying abroad? Just do it! Okay, I know I sound very Nike there, but the words make perfect sense. What other time in your life are you going to have this type of opportunity to go live and learn in another country for 6 months? I’ve changed so much because of living and learning. There are things I never thought I would see, and things I didn’t even know existed!

You enter a country where, yes, they often speak English, but all the signs are different, everyone you listen to is talking a different language, and all the products you normally use have changed and aren’t usually readable. I was so happy when I arrived in Amsterdam and saw this, it’s such an amazing opportunity to get to learn to adapt to this kind of situation, and really fun! You can work with other people, strangers or other students who have come along with you, to figure out what things are and where to go.

Eventually you’ll arrive at your accommodation and get to set up shop. This was the first time I got to be away from home and I was very excited to unpack my things and start my independent life. I did live with some other really awesome people, but my own room was mine and I even bought a few things to make it cozier. I was staying for 6 months, after all.

Okay, I was enjoying my time travelling and the idea of going to school and doing homework was really unappealing. And yes, studying and doing homework was very hard to get to sometimes and not a lot of fun, but its worth it when you get to meet other students, see a different school, and see an entirely different teaching and learning system. It’s definitely worth it to attend school in a different country.

And then there were the biggies, travelling and a social life. I’m not the most social person, but it there were always opportunities to socialize with people and do activities, whether it be going to a bar, playing badminton, or having a barbeque at home. No matter what type of person you are, you are going to be able to find a way to socialize just the way you like.

Travelling is probably one of the most exciting things for most people. I am so happy to be able to say I have experienced 11 countries now. I never would have had this opportunity had it not been for studying abroad (It’d still be at three, and they are all in North America). Do as much travelling as you can, but keep in mind it can take a toll on you, especially staying at hostels and staying up very late after doing touristy things all day, so allow yourself some time to catch up on rest, say, before you have to start school again.

I would never change or take back any of my experiences, no matter if they were bad or absolutely amazing. They have made me who I am and I might not know it, but I would be missing something very important for my life if it weren’t for studying abroad. So I’ll repeat my Nike cliché here: If your thinking about studying abroad, just do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!