Karolina Szulc: The Multi-Cultural Adventure Begins

You have to experience a culture, place, and concept on your own skin to fully understand it. This adventure has proven this statement already.
First encounter with my classmates at the LAX airport wasn’t very promising. Everyone stayed within his or her group from their own home countries, within the comfort zone. As the days went by, friendships started forming between different cultures despite the language barriers. During the first few days at Riverside, California, the Euro Cup 2012 was taking place and we all went to watch the final game and cheered for our favorite. Of course, Spain was the main competitor in the soccer games, given the fact that in our program there are 30 Spanish people, we all cheered for their country. During the final game, I could see and hear their passion for the sport. Soccer is a big part of the Spanish culture and I was delighted to share that experience with them. I even have started conversing in Spanish with some of my new friends in order to build up that language skill. I have been emerged into the Spanish culture very quickly.
UCR Extension Centre before the final game Euro Cup 2012
With the class times 8:30 am until 4:30 pm during most of the days, I also got the chance to go on one of the optional field trips to Universal Studios, California. It was a relaxing and exciting day for everyone. At this point, everyone had friends from multiple countries and it was pleasant to see how quickly everyone has adapted to the new situation.

Universal Studios Optional UCR Field Trip

During the mandatory field trip to Disneyland, Anaheim, where I went on a guided tour and had to complete a scavenger hunt for which I have been assigned particular groups, which gave me the opportunity to meet and work with even more different kinds of people from many countries. Throughout the classes at UCR, I have been also assigned various seats every time at the beginning of the lecture, which allowed me to get to know everyone from the program. I really enjoy interactions between all the international people.
Disneyland, California mandatory field trip
 After arriving at Vista Way Orlando apartments, where students and interns have been already living and working, our program group seems to be even more united than before, back in California. Although that doesn’t mean that I won’t be open to new cultures and new friendships. I can already see new opportunities and new possibilities to grow and expand my knowledge and human skills. The best motto for this trip is to stay open and make the best out of everything that comes at me; overseeing the small bumps along the way. So far, it has been a great life experience and I am eager to see what will happen next and what new things I will discover. 
Vista Way Pool Party UCR students

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!