Stephanie Chen: “Yes” to study abroad

Congratulations! You’re one step closer to going abroad. Everything starts with having the need and the desire when making decisions. I can almost guarantee that you will not regret the decision of going abroad. At least I didn’t!  I am very proud of myself for making one of the best decisions in my life. Not only did I learn a lot about myself, but I also learned how to deal with others and their differences. These are the people skills that we all need to learn in our life, so why not learn it abroad. There are no words to describe the experience and the memories that I have gained from going abroad and only those who have been abroad would understand. The experience is just that impactful!  

Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t easy getting to the “yes, I’m going abroad” decision. Studying abroad was something I have always wanted to do, but never got the courage to do so until the last fall semester. I was brought up with traditional Chinese mentality, where it is the role of the eldest child to take care of their parents. Thus, I was very hesitant about this decision at the beginning because I would have this guilt for leaving my parents behind while I explore the world. I have always put others first in ensuring that they are happy, but never really gave thought into doing things for myself. Through words of encouragement from friends and family, I have learned to let go and knew I needed a change. An opportunity aroused with study aboard and I knew instantly that’s what I needed, a chance to experience something new.

We only live once; therefore we should take all opportunities when we are given it. I mean, what are the chances we get the opportunity to do all of the following  at once -travel, see new things, meet people from all around the world, experiencing a new culture, learning new things, enjoying great food, and sipping on good wine. So, say “yes” to study abroad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!