Roger Sum: Nothing but a G (Guatemalan) Thing!


Hola amigos!!

Como-estas? We are in Morales, Guatemala and this trip has been more than I’ve ever expected. Days have been long and very busy. However, why would you not take advantage of your time here? We’ve been going through the towns, seeing the local people, walking the old 3rd world streets of Guatemala. I’m sure in all of the past blogs my classmates have intrigued you to visit Guatemala and to the Capilano students, inspired you to take advantage of the study abroad opportunities. 

I had previously participated on a field school last year to China and let me tell you, the experience here in Guatemala has been a whole new one. I was skeptical of this field school because my realm falls inside of business and not sociology, but I have been able to learn things I don’t think I’d ever learn in a classroom setting. 

Participating on this study tour has given me the chance to embrace challenges, get out of my comfort zone, learn a new culture, but the most important aspect of going on this field school are the friends you make and the people you meet. Anyways, that’s where I’m coming from and I’d like first talk about where we are, what we did today, and what I’m looking forward to.
 
So as I said before, we are in Morales, Guatemala. There are a lot of mosquitoes and today we are staying at the Del Monte plantation gated community. We have our own living quarters that are being shared by 4 people per room. It is hot and humid and I am sweating up a storm. It was a very long drive coming from Antigua (6 hours to be exact with a washroom break) but I am very happy to be here. We had a fantastic dinner and for myself, the food here has been more or less authentic and what I’ve expected. I’m a foodie so I have taken many pictures of where and what we eat. 

Anyways, after lunch, we met with Guatemalan high school students and touched based with them. They asked us questions about Canada, we asked them questions about Guatemala. I was thoroughly impressed with how intelligent, inspiring and ambitious these high school students are. What intrigued me the most is how the education system was similar but different. The structure of grade levels is similar however, the person I connected with was telling me about how Guatemalan education is slower than the education we receive in Canada. They start to learn algebra in high school while Canadians learn algebra as early as grade four. 
  
After we met with the students, we had some down time and many of us relaxed at the pool. The water was warm and the atmosphere was amazing. Everyone is having a fantastic trip and I feel that everyone has bonded not only to each other but also to the country of Guatemala. Tomorrow, we will be visiting a packaging facility and a banana plantation.

I am definitely looking forward to the sunshine, the learning experience, and interacting with the students and workers. I am looking forward to the rest of the trip with my classmates and program coordinators. Our time here has been above and beyond my expectations and one we will hold dearly in our hearts and minds. Hope ya’ll enjoyed that read, and I hope you keep following and look forward to all the amazing experiences we have in the future. Roger out.  


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!