Sara Ellis: A Spiritual Rejuventation in Antigua

It’s only day three of our Guatemala trip and it feels like we have done enough to have been here for a month! So many amazing things to see and experience; and I think our guide, Ignacio, is doing an awesome job at making sure we see and hear about as much as we can in the little time we have in each place. Today we spent the entire day in Antigua, which was great because I have a feeling it might be my favorite place in Guatemala. It is truly beautiful; full of life and culture. It’s definitely the kind of place I expected to see in Guatemala. The narrow cobblestone streets, however, I was not quite expecting.  The amount of buses, cars, motorbikes and pedestrians all crammed into these crazy lanes astounds me! I’m pretty sure that if you can operate a vehicle here you can drive anywhere in the world because it’s mindboggling.


 One of our first trips of the day was to the village school where we visited the school children and they very bravely gave us a presentation on what subjects they were studying and how their school system works. All of the children seemed to very happy and were not shy in telling us how excited they were to be in school. This really struck me because in Canada most kids take their education for granted and often complain about having to go to school on a regular basis. The only thing I wish we could have done is spend a little more time with children and maybe play a couple games of basketball with them!

Also today we went to a Mayan ceremony, which was celebrated by a Mayan priest, on a hill overlooking Antigua. It was very fun to be a part of as well as interesting to hear why they pray the way they do. After the ceremony the priest gave each of us a key chain (I’m pretty sure there was a fancy name for it but it escapes me) which described our personalities depending on our date of birth. The priest also invited us to keep the flowers, incense, and candles that had been used during the ceremony. It was a beautiful ceremony and I am so glad we were able to experience it to better understand the Mayan culture. Afterwards, we returned to the Belen Convent for some delicious lunch prepared for us by the nuns while the Mayan priest took each of us aside to describe in greater detail why our birthdays are significant and how it affects our personalities and traits. I have to say he was quite accurate with my horoscope when he told me in a polite and flowery way that I am a people pleaser and I need to be stronger in my convictions ( so true)!

To kick off our afternoon we went for a walking tour of the convent we are currently staying in and the streets of Antigua. There was so much to see I certainly will not be able to write about everything unfortunately. There were, however, a few things that stood out for me. Once I got past the insane roads and drivers I noticed all the lovely buildings that surround the streets of Antigua, particularly the incredible churches and cathedrals. The architecture of these structures is jaw dropping and beautifully stunning, not to mention the many gardens and court yards within these beautiful buildings!

Also on our tour we made a stop at a market on one of the streets where there were a multitude of souvenirs and trinkets to choose from. As usual I spent way more than I initially intended but I do think I am getting a better handle on this bartering business!

Finally I was fortunate enough to go to Mass today, which is Sunday, at the cathedral in Antigua. It was definitely the cherry on top of an already awesome day. The cathedral is huge and it was packed full of people attending the Mass, many people had to stand at the entrance; it was quite a sight to see. The Mass itself of course was beautiful and I was counting my blessings and couldn’t believe how fortunate I was to be in this beautiful, engaging city and to have the opportunity to join many locals in going to church. It’s amazing that I am thousands of miles from home and yet was able to share something I have in common with the people of Guatemala, my faith.

It has been an incredible journey so far and I can’t wait to see where we go next and meet more of the locals and hear their stories, I am sure we won’t be disappointed!
.?!()

Comments

  1. Glad to see that the trip so far has been a rewarding experience for you, Sara! It's fun to tag along via the blog to see and hear about some of the same sights that we saw last year. Enjoy the rest of the trip and say hi to Nacho, Laurel, Yvonne and all the Cap faculty. Hope you get to meet Tony and some of Nacho's other family members.
    Andrea Westcott

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!