Mustaali Raj: Just Roll With It

Jungles. Ruins. Ancient secrets. Colonial cities frozen in time. That’s what comes to mind when one first thinks of Guatemala. Or at least that’s what came to my mind when I first learned about this course. In fact, it is all true but serves only as a part of what defines Central America. Having visited Cuba and Mexico before, I feel like I have a sense of what to expect in Guatemala yet every place is different. And I hope to be able to fully experience the uniqueness of Guatemala’s culture, people and places. I am glad that we’ll be spending our time out in the field with local people, and seeing the real Guatemala, rather than getting a narrow view from the confines of a comfortable resort getaway.

The real exciting part is that I will be filming a documentary showcasing the student experience on this study abroad trip. Although wide in scope, I think it’s going to be a really fun project. Equipped with my handy Canon T3i and a few accessories, I’m ready to roll. I’m looking forward to capturing some colourful footage at the local marketplace and filming the mystique of the Mayan ruins of Tikal.


Today was primarily a travel day. I won’t lie when I say it was tough getting up in the morning at 5-30am to come to the airport especially having decided to pack last minute the night before. However, the excitement of the trip itself was more overwhelming. You know that beautiful feeling you get right when you are about to travel? It’s like feeling the sand in between your toes on a white sandy beach before you jump into the crystal clear water. That’s the feeling.  



We had a short stopover in Dallas (Texas) for lunch where I instantly regretted ordering fish and chips, which consisted of 75% batter. It’s kind of funny how we ended up travelling to the heart of the Mayan Kingdom in the year 2012. I remember always joking about going down there to uncover the secrets of the end of the world. And here I am, off to Guatemala. I can’t wait for the hot humid air to welcome me as I step off the plane. What more to expect? Just roll with it. Experiencing each moment as it comes by, and hopefully, capturing some memorable moments on film along the way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!