Emily Norvell: 5 Most Common Differences that I have noticed between Japan and Canada

I have currently been in Japan for three weeks now and slowly started to notice subtle differences between Japan and Canada.  This list will be the top five differences that I have noticed.

Number 1: There is very little grass found in main cities.  The majority of the houses do not have a front or back yard with grass and a garden which is so prevalent in Vancouver.  Many houses take up the entirety of their land leaving no room for greenery. When they do have a larger plot of land and a smaller house the extra space is often covered by either cement or pebbles.  These areas are often used to park cars or bikes. This seems to bring on a whole new meaning to concrete jungle; however, that said, greenery has not been taken away all together.  A large variety of potted plants have been placed in front of houses, on patios, and in front of stores.  There is also a large variety of flowers and greenery found in parks, temples and shrines. There are often many festivals dedicated to seeing various flowers bloom.

The patio at my homestay with almost the entirety of it is covered by different potted plants.
 Number 2: Drinking water in virtually non-existent and drinking either hot or cold tea is number one. Whether eating with my host family or at a restaurant, tea is almost always served first and as the only beverage.  For the majority of restaurants I have visited I would have to ask for water to get any.  It is also common to slurp your noodles and make noise when you eat to inform the cooks that you like their food. It is seen as rude to eat any noodle dish silently as it informs the cooks that you did not enjoy their food.

Number 3: Japan is an old country with a large number of traditions and customs. When comparing Canada to Japan as well as many other countries it is easy to see that Canada is relatively new.  While in Japan I have been asked many different questions about certain traditions and customs found with Canada; however, for me these questions have been extremely hard to answer. What is a traditional Canadian dish that everyone eats? Are there any traditional events or holidays that you celebrate? For me personally, these questions were hard to answer.  The only answer I could come up with was poutine and Canada day since both are unique to Canada.  When asked the same questions to Japanese citizens they easily come up with answers.

Number 4: Japan is a very generous culture. I am not saying that Canada is not but this “giving and receiving nothing in return” has been deeply embedded within Japanese culture and is constantly demonstrated by its citizens. Since I have been in Japan I have received multiple different snacks and Japanese desserts, a handkerchief, bag, hair accessories, charms and traditional Japanese pottery.  I even received a traditional Japanese fan from a kimono shop that I had visited with my host family.  Whether you are a foreigner or Japanese-born, gifts are often given freely.

The Japanese fan I received from a kimono shop.
Number 5: Money tips/ gratuities are not given or received it Japan. In Canada after going to a restaurant, ordering food to your home, or getting a ride in a taxi it is expected that you tip the person who has helped you.  However; in Japan, people will not accept a gratuity if it is offered.  I have even been told by friends that when they left a tip on the table their server ran after them attempting to give them their money back.
There are many other differences between Canada and Japan that I have noticed; however, these are a few that stood out the most for me.
 
Emily Norvell is a Capilano University student in the Liberal Studies program. Emily is studying abroad at Aichi Gakusen College in Okazaki, Japan.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!