Megan Wing: Checking in from Vienna


Hey there Capilano, Megan here checking in from Vienna! Trying to sum up my study abroad so far seems nearly impossible as so much has happened, I will try my best to give you a rough overview though. The experience thus far has been amazing, fun, scary, life changing, thrilling, and the list goes on and on. I believe that studying abroad is one of the best opportunities you can take in your lifetime, so for any of you who are on the fence, hop off the fence and make it happen, you won’t regret it!







Living in Vienna has been a very eye opening experience for many reasons, the people and customs are very different here then at home. An example which seams silly but is actually super hard to get used to is there store hours; they are very short and don’t exist on Sundays. The idea of being able to pick up anything you need at any time is not the case here. Adapting to their way of life is kind of fun though, I realized that there’s nothing wrong with a lazy Sunday every once in a while (which for me at home did not exist). Another very cool aspect is the actual studying part. The majority of the international students are from somewhere in Europe, which means lots of new friends with different languages, lifestyles, ideas etc. For example right now I am taking a class where I am the only student who speaks English as a first language, how cool is that, and how often does that happen!? Almost never, which is why I am so lucky to be having this experience, soaking it all up! Learning about the culture in Vienna has been great and I can’t wait to continue exploring over the next few months.  







I have also done some adventuring outside of Vienna: a ball and winery in Baden, Sound of Music and Mozart in Sulzburg, Carnival in Venice, baths in Budapest, and hiking the hills just outside the city. I also have many things to look forward to: Pecs to visit fellow Cap students, Lagos for a week of surf and yoga camp, upper Austria, Innsbruck, Verona, and Prague just to name a few.

My study abroad experience seems to be enhanced every single day. I keep thinking it has peaked, but I always seem to be surprised by a new friend, opportunity, teacher, or moment, something always seems to top the day before.

 
One thing I haven’t mentioned is the friendships that have formed. I have met some seriously awesome people that I wouldn’t have had I not studied abroad. Not only people that I can have fun with, but also people that I see myself staying in touch with forever. Feeling very lucky and happy to be here in Vienna.
 
Megan is a third year Bachelor of Business Administration student studying abroad at FHWien University of Applied Sciences in Vienna, Austria.  Megan also took part in the 2013 China Field School. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!