Megan Sadler: Learning Experiences Abroad



I have learned so much from this experience already, but I know that there is even more I can get out of it. I’ve learned how easy it is to make a new friend. Because I got to know so many people from all over the world at the International Student Orientation, I have learned a lot about different cultures as well. In terms of the school work, I’ve learned so much about the different expectations that other schools have for their students. Additionally, the course content has been really interesting because it focuses on tourism from a European perspective.


In terms of self-realization, I have learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses. I have also learned that I take for granted some of the things at home, while at the same time I appreciate some things that I believe are done a lot better over here. I’ve realized that the best way to get over my feeling homesick, or culture shock, is to take a trip somewhere outside of Hatfield.  I think because I had started to fall into a bit of a routine, rather than having everything as new and exciting as it was in the beginning, the repetition was making me miss home. For example, last week I took a trip to Amsterdam because I was feeling homesick. The excitement of exploring a new city reminded me why I chose to study abroad in the first place. I am so excited to explore the world a bit more during my final months of my semester abroad.



 
Megan is a third year Bachelor of Tourism Management student studying abroad at the University of Hertfordshire in Hatfield, UK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!