Tamara Smith: Magic Kingdom Strollers


My first role at Disney was working at Strollers in The Magic Kingdom. At first it was not at all what I expected when I received a Merchandise role. I thought I would be working in shops selling plush Disney characters and key chains. Instead I was stacking strollers and renting out ECVs (electric scooters), wheelchairs, and lockers. I also needed to know how to move and operate the ECVs and know all the shortcuts through the park in case there was a breakdown and I had to deliver another as soon as possible. For the first month I was scheduled six days a week, working 40-55 hours and I did not like it at all, I just wanted to make a child’s day by selling them a plush Mickey and instead I was working like a dog moving wheelchairs and strollers.



 


            Soon enough, the park was becoming less busy and I finally had my two-day weekends and I was getting to know people at work. After working at Strollers and hearing about all my friends other jobs, I realized that I actually was incredibly lucky and that working a normal Merchandise job would be repetitive and boring compared to Strollers where you change positions almost every hour and have multiple things to do and be aware of. I was also so lucky to have had all of the people I work with and the managers I had. The managers were incredible and no matter what I felt comfortable going to them with questions and/or concerns knowing they would approach the situation with kindness.
 

 
            Finally, my co-workers at Strollers continue to be some of the greatest people I’ve met while I’ve been down here. There are so many people who are also in both the International College Program and the domestic College Program who I’ve become incredibly close friends with and still talk to and hang out with them now, even though I am working in a different location. I am just hoping that my new location will be just as good of an experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!