Tyler Belich: Do It!


I arrived at YVR August 6 and I know this is almost two months late. However, I have not been the same since arriving home. I feel like I am walking in a fog, living in a dream, a shell of a man. Food does not taste as good, air does not smell as sweet, and culture does not feel as rich. Am I happy to be home? Yes. Do I wish I was still traveling through Europe living culture, learning history, and experiencing new and unforgettable memories? Definitely. 
 
 
Since I have been home everybody that I see has said the same thing, OMG you are home. Followed by the same question, how was trip? The first thing I say is life changing. What else can I say? Then I start down the list of things I did while I was away. School Tuesday to Thursday then it was time to travel. During the semester my new friends and I traveled to Germany, Belgium, Northern Ireland, Italy twice, Monte Carlo, and throughout Switzerland. Everything from pub-crawls to ice hockey games to snowboarding in the Swiss Alps. After my semester was over it was off to Croatia for three weeks, fun in the sun, time on the beach, beautiful women and tasty food. The highlight of my entire trip was traveling to the Island of Korcula and finding the house my grandfather was born in. My grandfather always told us growing up that we had to make it to Croatia one day. Actually making it and being there was very emotional and worth every minute. From there it was off to the England with six friends, well to Brighton actually, to see Mumford and Sons play at a two-day festival. Got some fresh ink in Brighton then it was off to Scotland for four days. Four days turned into 12, oh the joys and benefit of traveling alone. After Scotland it was off to Prague for three nights of partying and four days of amazing history. Back to Switzerland for the night and then back home to Vancouver.

Grandfather's house in croatia
The past six months has changed me as an individual. I have met and made new friends, traveled to places most only see in dreams, and learned more about myself then I ever would have sitting in a classroom in North Vancouver. So to answer your question, “What would you say to other students thinking about going abroad?” If you have the opportunity… DO IT! If I had to do it over I would make the same choice each and every time.

Study abroad has been the best part of my four years at Capilano University and I am truly grateful that I was able to take part in this life-changing program.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!