Lycia Jones: Chapter 25. Cycles & Studies in Holland

At this point in my story, I am living and studying in a very quaint ocean-side town in the Netherlands, with not nearly enough space on the pages to describe how amazing life is in the town of Vlissingen.



 

I like to view my life as a book with many chapters. Some chapters tell stories of love, drama, mystery, comedy, or loss, some chapters are dull and ordinary, and others are intense and moving. Almost a year ago I went searching for something that would help to fill my book’s desire for excitement, growth, and adventure for further chapters. So far, my decision to go study abroad has surely satisfied each desire I have been looking for.

Adventure has been the most significant aspect so far- cycling adventures to be exact. The bicycle paths and highways in the Netherlands are truly luxurious as compared to those in any other country I have been. When the Dutch purchase a bicycle, they often become attached to it as a main mode of personal transportation. For this reason, a bicycle will often develop his own name. My bicycle’s name is Gazelle.

 

When I go for long rides, I am able to reach almost every town and park here on the island of Walcheren. The scenery is exquisite; on a usual ride you can pass by sheep, horses, forests, canals, windmills, sand dunes, bakeries, canals, farms, churches, beaches, and lots of birds.

While riding I am constantly being faced with new challenges and opportunities. For example, while on a solo roundtrip 6 hour ride to visit the historical ocean-side town of Veere, I was faced with a major wind battle while passing through the completely flat and open countryside in the middle of the island. The wind was so fierce that, at times, I had to stop and get off my bike because the intensity of the wind would have pushed me over! It blew so heavy that I felt like I was in an extremely advanced level spin class with absolute max resistance level turned on for the last 2 hours straight. I eventually made it home, and although my legs were throbbing and sore, I had a great feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.

I have found that cycling around in the Netherlands has been a great way to get out in the fresh air and amongst the culture here. It can be a very relaxing way to take a break from schoolwork. A pleasant ride I often enjoy is one along the sand dune bike paths and up the coast beside the beautiful North Sea. Cycling can also be a quick way to head to a party with friends, as the water bottle holder can fit a bottle of wine in it perfectly.

 
Whether it is cycling, studying, socializing, or traveling, I am embracing each and every moment here, but also eagerly looking forward to rest of what this chapter in the Netherlands holds for my story.

Just keep in mind that your words, thoughts, actions, and choices are the pens that write the pages in your book. Keep turning the pages and making the story a perfect one for you. Have courage, be kind, be patient, trust, listen, explore, be grateful, and… go study abroad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!