Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia


     We have come a long way over the past 9 days of this trip and it has been beyond anything I could have expected. By emercing ourselves in the lively Guatemalan culture, we have taken a step out of the classroom into reality.


Leaving Livingston
     Today is day 9 of our excursion and I am saddened to say that we had to leave Livingston- my Guatemalan paradise. As we packed our bags to leave, memories from the night before filled my head. We had a fiesta- Livingston style- at a reggae bar called ‘Duga’ located right outside of our hotel. We were joined by our new friends who were locals in Livingston and we shared music, laughter, and dancing. There were bongo drums and guitars and an amazing local from Belize named Mario got our whole group up on stage one-by-one to teach us how to dance ‘punta’, a type of Guatemalan dance. As the night went on our fiesta kept growing as locals who were passing by joined in to see what was happening. I am sure they were both surprised and amused to find a group of Canadian’s trying to shake there bums to a foreign rhythm. But nonetheless, it was definitely something worth seeing. The evening was an amazing experience and everyone felt comfortable as we shared stories and drinks with the locals that joined us. Many of them spoke some English which helped us exchange stories from our own countries by using wild hand gestures and broken Spanish. I got to know a different side of the community while we danced and talked throughout the night. Friendships were made, and this last night in Livingston went by way too fast. What astounds me is the variety of people that we met from Livingston- a mix of Garifuna, Maya, Ladino, and Afro-Caribbean; a mix of peoples and cultures living together and making a life. This multicultural aspect reminded me of Canada, where the usual night is spent socializing with friends from different backgrounds.

     As the night drew to an end, we finally said our good-byes, promising to stay in touch with our new friends. I felt grateful to be able to combine what I learned in class about Guatemala with the personal stories and opinions of the Guatemalan locals.


     The next morning, as our boat pulled away from the shore of Livingston on our way back to Guatemala City, I watched the Caribbean coast get smaller and smaller until eventually it was just a blur of green against the crystal blue water. This is a place where I have felt more at home then I have anywhere else. Although a poverty-stricken town, Livingston and its people reflect the light of the sun in their warm smiles and hospitality. The vibrant colours on the crumbling walls tell a story of a struggle between suffering and happiness. As the warm tropical breeze blew through my newly braided hair (done patiently into 79 braids by a local woman), I knew it wasn’t the only change that I was bringing back with me. I felt like I was leaving a piece of myself behind because the people that I met made such a deep impression that it hurt to say good-bye. But I was also taking with me an important lesson: a sense of community and belonging is essential in life. Guatemala may have its problems, but the people also carry an energy and happiness that many countries lack. Having everything doesn’t necessarily equate to us being happy and material possessions and wealth can only get us so far. Just like my conversations with the Guatemalan youth, I feel like we need to learn from each other. Our field group has bonded over this trip and we have learned many things from each other. We share an identity by representing students from Canada.

We have met some amazing people over our journey and the only word I can use to describe the support network that we have become is ‘Mi Familia’ or ‘My Family’. As we finally reached Guatemala city on the evening of our 9th day, a fast food restaurant called Pollo Campero stood like a beacon of hope after the exhausting day-long drive. We had been craving fried chicken since the first day we set foot in Guatemala City from the airport, so it only felt right to finally indulge in this craving. As we sat in the restaurant with chicken grease and hot sauce running down our chins I savored the feeling of dining with everyone. It would feel lonely for the first few days home, but I know that if I ever need someone to share a greasy chicken dinner with I can just call upon one of the members in my new familia and they would gladly join me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!