Jessica Lau: Treated differently for being over 25… Really?!


Well, I am over 25 years old and proud of it! Back in Vancouver, I go to school with a lot of younger people and I have never felt bother or given much thought to this age difference. Back in Vancouver, I am treated as a student, despite my age. I get the same incentives and deals as other fellow students. But this is not the case in France. Before I came to France to study, I already knew I would not qualify for the 12-25 card, which allows students to get major discount for train tickets. But when I came here, I realized it’s not just the 12-25 card. Even for opening up a bank account, I would not get the offer as other students because I am over 25 years old. Really?!

It’s not the fact that I’m not qualified for these deals that bother me and I want to blog about it. It’s more than that; I’m thinking and questioning why should people like me be treated differently? Why should we be categorized and discriminated out for stuff because I am over 25? What about people who lost their jobs during recession and want to go back to school to try to get a job again? Isn’t it difficult enough to go back to school as a “mature” student? Why should we be set apart? If the world or the government wants to encourage people to keep learning and growing (which can help the world both in economic and social view), shouldn’t they encourage EVERYONE to do so? I guess children is our future, they should learn and grow… and people over 25 are just too old to be our future.

I am very proud and grateful to live in a country where I am encouraged to keep learning and not get separated for being “older.” I think this experience has further encouraged me to set up programs to embrace people’s differences, not discriminate and label people.

Comments

  1. Hi Jessica! I feel for your struggle. I agree with you, but I also understand the cultural forces that are at play. In Canada - the land of the immigrants, there is a relatively high percentage of "mature students". In part because many immigrants are forced to go back to school to get Canadian versions of their foreign diplomas. In Europe that's not the case.

    Moreover, in France the mentality is such that most people see themselves establishing a life-long career upon graduation, so it is very uncommon to go back to school to learn a new trade/skill. I think with time that might change - particularly if the economic conditions continue to deteriorate in the EU. However, only time will show and until then a "student" in their eyes will someone fresh out of high school.

    Vancouver's awaiting you return, and in our eyes you are "the future" ;)

    xo Julia Goudkova

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!