Samantha McGregor: Permanently Lost in Translation

Arriving back in Innsbruck I am filled with feelings of excitment, terror of the unknown and the realization of how far from home I really am. When we first arrived in Innsbruck over a month ago, I did not get a real idea of the city, as we set off for our adventure all I could think was "what did I get myself into, I am so screwed". 

I picked up Stanley at the train station and we headed off to get the keys to our dorms and move in. The city of Innsbruck is beautiful, and we knew that we were not located near the city centre and that was okay. But as we put the address into the GPS we realized we were not going to be staying in the picturesque core of the city and rather located in Innsbruck's version of East Van, or the ghetto. 

The dorm is old and grungy but for some reason I love it. What used to be a hotel has been converted into a dorm with 20 or so rooms per floor, a kitchen for each floor and common room filled with work out equipment, TVs and couches.  

After a trip to the local Ikea, the dorm feels more like home. I have a child's blanket that makes me laugh and Lime green everywhere. From my room back home to the Icefields, and now here it's inevitable, Green whether by choice or not I am stuck with. 

Stanley and I decided to go exploring. We hopped on a bus that we could only hope would bring us into the city. After a few minutes of confusion and walking circles we made it into town. Innsbruck is everything and more that I was hoping. The city core is beautiful, old buildings mixed in with new. We stumbled upon the golden roof. Right at the end of Maria-Theresien-Straße. The main shopping street.

The View of the River and Mountains from the City Centre
 
With some luck, more confusion and not being able to figure out how to open the bus doors we made it back to our dorm. Met some of our flat mates, and headed off to bed. Orientation in the morning. Lets See what happens!

Prior to leaving for this adventure I had an idea of how many countries would be represented within our program but really I had no Idea. Orientation was filled with so many languages that there was a little comfort in knowing that I spoke English better than most yet a moment of disappointment that I never learnt another language.

Lesson One from Austria: Do not "forget" to do your Spanish homework, do not sleep during class, and always study for exams.
Every place is represented, over 50 languages present
After a day spent touring the school, having our always glorious School ID card photos taken we set off for a Tyrolean lunch at a restaurant near the Golden Roof. Now, 8 Americans and 2 Canadian all of which do not speak Austrian do not make for a splendid time for the server. One extra drink, and a plate of food no one ordered we finally ate our meals and got to know each other.

Forward 5 hours and we are at The Galaway Irish Pub across the street from MCI. "Orientation" continued on with 50+ people shoved into a small basement room with a band singing 80% of the words to Mumford and Sons and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
 

After discovering a new favorite drink...Magners Irish Cider, having friends think they are in fact at the Mumford and Sons concert and not a grungy pub it was time to call it a night.
 
It was hard saying bye, yet exhilarating, tt made this entire experience finally feel real. I am in fact living in Austria and not just visiting. No more waking up at 7am to my St. Bernard breathing in my face to let her out, no more hopping in the truck to go see friends. Instead I am looking at maps, trying to figure out what the German gibberish actually says, getting lost in random cities and studying international tourism....internationally....
 
Hello Austria, I am definitely no longer in Kansas
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!