Rosie Wilbur: Reflection


I am supposed to recap the entire ten days in Guatemala in four hundred words; not going to be an easy task. Throughout the trip we took part in Mayan ceremonies, explored ancient ruins of Quiriqua and Tikal, perused colorful, exciting markets in Antigua and Guatemala City, heard presentations from inspiring and intelligent people, we even had time to relax on the poolside and swim in the ocean. The fact that I witnessed all of this as part of a student body was an entirely new and awakening experience. Within our group we have so many strong and individual personalities and I honestly think that everyone put in their greatest efforts to make sure that the collective group came first above our own individual desires, which is not the norm in our society.

I feel that being given the opportunity to travel to Guatemala and learn and engage with the people shaped my understanding of many issues we have been studying prior to travel in a fundamental way. For example, being able to observe with my senses the bananas on the plantations and to be in such close proximity to the people that make sure they are aesthetically perfect for the western market was incredibly eye opening. It is one thing to read of the process of globalization in a textbook and another to witness both ends of the spectrum in the flesh.   

Witnessing a drastically different culture than my own helped me to put things into perspective and realize just how lucky I am to have been born into a society that grants me countless opportunities and privileges.  My views of how the individual is not to blame for their suffering but rather the system that they just happen to be born into bares the responsibility was only emphasized by the conditions I witnessed in Guatemala. The school we visited in Antigua where children had to beg their parents to attend school is one example of this injustice. If one never has an opportunity to learn how can they be blamed if they are not educated and why should they not be given that fundamental right to an education? It was at times difficult to see that so many people are not given the same opportunities as others just on the basis of their wealth or color of their skin; however, I witness this every day in my own society, it is only magnetized in Guatemala. 

 This trip only cultivated my desire to continue to learn more about other cultures and I am excited for many opportunities ahead.  The more I learn of the many colorful people of this world the more I am inspired to understand more.  Each day in Guatemala brought about new challenges and new insights, and I value this experience and the many friends I have made on this exciting adventure.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!