Savannah Nathaus: Scotland

Study Abroad Spring 2019 - Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland. 


Studying abroad has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. The opportunities I have had this far have far exceeded anything I would have been able to do if I would have stayed in Canada for this semester. Moving to Scotland to study had been a dream of mine as soon as I was accepted to go to university. So you can easily imagine the excitement I had when I got accepted.

If I had to tell you one thing about going and studying abroad, it would be just to do it. I know it sounds easier said than done, but do anything in your power to make it happen. I sold my car and sold a variety of other things that I knew I didn’t need anymore and just had sitting around. I have no regrets.

Explore anything and everything that you can when you are here. Do your research and make a list of all the things you want to see in the country you are in. Compare your timetable to a calendar and write out all your long weekends and breaks so that you aren’t “stuck” should a long weekend come along. By planning it out you can easily see what you want to do on what date and if you ever get homesick, trust me, being busy helps so much. You start counting time by the trips and not the days and suddenly you’ve been away from home for 4 months. 

There is so much to see and do in the city you are studying and getting around is so much easier here than it is in North Vancouver and BC for that matter. With your ESN card we get free checked bags and 15% off of Ryan Air flights. You could casually fly to Paris for the weekend for like 40$. It’s insane and I recommend you take full advantage of all of these experiences. Do as much as you possibly can in the time that you have, on the days where you don’t have school simply going for walks can be so amazing. Getting out and walking around and getting sort of lost within the city is how I have found some of the coolest areas, art and parks. 

Enjoy your time, don’t waste it and don’t count down the days until you are home. It is all going by so fast, there’s no need to count! Have the absolute time of your life and sleep on a beach in Scotland, it will make you explode with happiness. 


Savannah,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breanna Nathorst: Leaving Paradise with Mi Familia

London Field School x2 - 2019

London Field School 2019!